Saturday, November 25, 2006

raku is fun

Somehow common sense (or if the truth be told, my mother) prevailed and after one glorious year as a fine arts student, i went back to finish my masters degree - YAWN!
mercifully the powers that be were willing to be a bit flexible and i was able to do all of my master's electives in ceramics - YAY! having no formal classes to join i was given a bit of studio space in the ceramics dungeon and largely left to my own devices - thank goodness for the infinite patience of Grant, the resident technician / helpful person / know-it -all.

During this time i tagged along on an excursion to the Sturt pottery in Mittagong for a day of raku firing - what fun!

i love these two little pots. the first one is a pinch pot that i made and the second one was thrown by Michael Michaels and given to me for decorating. i especially love the red glaze and if i can ever get my hands on the recipe for it, i might be tempted to have another crack at the raku thing.

raku pinch pot
2001
6 x 6 x 4 cm



raku cup
2001
7cm x 7cm diameter

A copy of the image on the left was used for a full-page COFA ad in Craft Arts International - ooooh glossy! (one of these days i'll make it there under my own steam.)

No comments: